Yakisoba is a quick and easy, and most of all, delicious Japanese Stir-Fried Noodle dish. This version is made with chicken or pork and vegetables and seasoned with a sweet & savory sauce.
Adapted from Just One Cookbook
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 20 min
1 box of Nona Lim Traditional Ramen
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- ⅓ of a green cabbage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 6 dried/fresh shiitake mushrooms (optional), sliced
*If using dried shiitakes, soak for at least 30 minutes prior if using.
- 4 green onions, sliced into 2in pieces
- 1 whole chicken breast, or protein of choice, sliced into thin one inch strips
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Yakisoba sauce (recipe below)
Yakisoba Sauce (Makes about ½ cup)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 4 tsp oyster sauce (or mushroom sauce as a vegetarian option)
- 3 tsp ketchup
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Dried seaweed
- Pickled red ginger
- Bonito flakes
- Whisk all the ingredients for Yakisoba sauce together and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add Tokyo Ramen and cook for 2 minutes.
- Strain and rinse noodles under cold water to stop cooking and get rid of excess starch, set aside.
- In a skillet or wok, heat oil on medium-high heat and cook meat until no longer pink.
- Add the onion and carrot and cook for 1-2 minutes. Then add the cabbage and cook until al dente.
- Add the green onion and shiitake mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes and season with freshly ground black pepper. Check the chicken, it should be fully cooked by this point.
- Rinse the noodles again with hot water to bring it up to temperature and add to the skillet/wok, and lower heat to medium.
- Add Yakisoba Sauce to taste. Mix everything together.
- Transfer to plates and garnish. Serve warm.