Looking to think outside the boxed-stuffing this year? Try this gluten-free Southern Chinese sticky rice recipe for a great alternative to the Thanksgiving staple. Rice, aromatic Cantonese sausage and our Shiitake Beef Bone Broth all come together to achieve the glutenous-herby-savory-goodness of the traditional Turkey Day side dish.
Chinese Sticky Rice Stuffing
Time: 30 - 45 min
Prep: 10 min + overnight soak for rice
- 2 cups sticky/glutinous white rice (preferably long grain), soaked overnight
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 oz of dried shiitake mushroom, soak in two cups of water for 30 min (10 mushrooms)
- 1 oz dried shrimp, soak in the same bowl with mushrooms, reserve soaking liquid
- 6 oz Chinese sausage (Lap Cheong), about 4 links, sliced diagonally.
- 1 cup roasted and peeled (ready-to-eat) chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 Nona Lim Shiitake Beef Bone Broth Heat & Sip Cup (10 oz)
- Kosher salt
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Chinese Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Bone Broth (see above)
- Mushroom and dried shrimp soaking liquid
- Rinse the rice in a colander, and then transfer to a medium bowl. Cover with 1 inch of water and let soak at room temperature overnight. Drain thoroughly.
- Mix together the sauce ingredients, set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil. When the oil is hot, add the shallots and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until the shallots are golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the sausage and cook until the sausages curl slightly, 1 minute more. Add the sauce mixture, chopped chestnuts and drained rice, toss until the rice kernels are evenly coated, and season with 3 pinches of salt.
- Stir in half a cup of liquid at a time, starting with the bone broth first. Continue stirring the rice mixture until the liquid is all evaporated, then add the next half cup of liquid. Repeat until the rice is cooked and translucent, approximately 25 to 30 minutes. If needed add more water to finish cooking rice.
- Mix everything well, taste and adjust with seasoning.
- Stir in sliced scallions before serving (save some for garnish).
- Use Nona Lim Miso Broth Heat & Sip Cup instead of the Shiitake Beef Bone Broth.
- Use sliced fried tofu instead of Chinese sausage.