Biang Biang Pad See Ew with Spicy Gochujang Sauce
Adapted from Omnivore’s Cookbook
Gochujang Chili Sauce
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup peanut oil
- ¼ cup Mother In Law’s Kimchi Original Gochujang
- 1 TBS white sesame seeds
- 1 star anise
- 1 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes
Seasoned Soy Sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbs water
- 1 tsp light brown sugar (or white sugar)
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 whole clove
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 package Nona Lim Pad See Ew Noodles
- Your choice of protein (beef, chicken, shrimp, tofu. We used beef), cooked and sliced
- 1 Persian cucumber, sliced
- Cilantro, chopped for garnish
Gochujang Chili Sauce:
- Combine soy sauce and garlic in a small bowl
- Heat large skillet over medium heat and add peanut oil, Mother In Law’s Kimchi Original Gochujang, sesame seeds, star anise, bay leaf, coriander, and cumin.
- Heat until it begins to sizzle, and then turn down heat to low, and cook until sauce darkens a bit. Remove from heat and stir in chili peppers.
- Carefully add soy sauce and garlic (watch out for splashing oil!) and stir to combine.
- Move oil mixture to a heat resistant bowl to cool.
- Once cooled, store in an airtight container. Best if used the next day, so flavors can meld. Also great on leftovers, meat, salads, etc. We used some on scrambled eggs, and it was delicious!
Seasoned Soy Sauce:
- Add soy sauce, water, brown sugar, chili flakes, star anise, cinnamon, and clove in a small saucepan. Heat over medium low heat until it reaches a simmer and then let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain sauce and discard spices. Add vinegar and mix to combine. Let cool.
- Cook Nona Lim Pad See Ew Noodles according to package instructions. Strain, and set aside.
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add chopped tomatoes and tomato paste. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce begins to thicken. Turn down heat to low.
- Add seasoned soy sauce to desired taste, and stir to combine.
- Add noodles and carefully mix to coat.
- Separate into bowls
- Top with cooked protein, sliced cucumber, plenty of gojuchang chili oil, chopped cilantro, and serve!