Are you inspired by the food in “Crazy Rich Asians”? You can try your hand at making some Singaporean noodle dishes at home with our noodles. For starters, here is an at-home version laksa recipe, courtesy of Chef Nora Haron, founder of Nora Haron Pop-Up and Restaurant in Oakland, formerly of the beloved Drip Line Oakland.
Chef Nora Haron’s Laksa Recipe
Laksa Spice Paste:
2 cups shallots, peeled and sliced
- 3 inch segment of turmeric root, skinned
- 2 inch segment of galangal, skinned
- 1 cup lemongrass, finely chopped
- 2 cups whole dried red chilies, soaked until softened
1 cup fresh Fresno or Jalapeño chili peppers
- 1 cup candlenuts or macadamia nuts
- 4 teaspoons belachan (shrimp paste), toasted
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 to 2 quarts shrimp or chicken stock
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 batch of Laksa spice paste
Sambal Sauce (Makes about 2 cups)
- 1 cup fresh Fresno chili peppers
- 1 cup dried California chillies, soaked
- 1/2 cup shallots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 inch segment of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup lemongrass, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons belachan (shrimp paste), toasted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 boxes of Nona Lim Laksa Noodles
- Grilled Shrimp
- Soft Boiled Egg or Fried Egg
- Rau Ram (also known as vietnamese coriander or laksa leaf)
- Julienned Cucumbers
- Fried Tofu Puffs
- Lime segments
Laksa spice paste:
Blend all ingredients to form a smooth paste, adding a bit of water if necessary.
- In a large pot, heat the oil on medium heat. Sauté Laksa spice paste until fragrant, around 5 minutes.
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Then add coconut milk, and salt. Bring to a quick boil, stirring continuously. Turn off heat once boiling.
- In a food processor, blend all ingredients (except salt, sugar and oil) to form a smooth paste, adding a bit of water if necessary.
- Heat oil in a pan at medium heat. Sauté the paste until fragrant for around 5 minutes, stirring continuously until the oil is separated out. Add salt and sugar to taste. Set aside to serve with finished Laksa.
- Each box of Nona Lim Laksa Noodles contains two pouches of noodles. For each pouch, tear a notch in the plastic pouch to vent, then microwave about 2 minutes.
- Carefully remove noodles from pouch and place in a bowl.
Ladle laksa broth over noodles in bowl, add garnishes, and serve with sambal sauce on the side.