Vietnamese Beef Pho Noodle Bowl
Time: 15 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
Adapted from Andrea Nguyen’s “Into the Vietnamese Kitchen" (Ten Speed Press, 2006)
- 2 pouches of 20 oz Nona Lim Pho Beef Bone Broth
- 2 boxes of Nona Lim Pad Thai Rice Noodles
- 1/2 pound steak cut of choice, thinly sliced against the grain (freeze for 15 minutes to make it easier to slice)
- 3 or 4 scallions, green part only, cut into thin rings
- Some chopped cilantro
- Ground black pepper
For Garnish Plate (optional)
- Sprigs of spearmint and Asian/Thai basil
- Bean sprouts
- Sliced red hot chilies
- Lime wedges
Broth and Noodle Prep
- Using a medium sized pot, bring pho broth to a simmer
- Add fresh rice noodles to the simmering broth, it will loosen up immediately. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Turn heat off. Transfer rice noodles to bowl and set aside.
- Using the same pot of water, blanch bean sprouts for 20 seconds, add to the garnish plate.
- Blanch thinly sliced steak for 30 seconds. Add on top of the noodles.
- Divide noodles between the bowls.
- Place blanched beef on top of the noodles.
- Garnish with green onions, chopped cilantro, and cracked black pepper.
- Ladle in broth and serve with garnish plate.