Braised Pork Belly Noodles
Inspired by @thewoksoflife's Lu Rou Fan recipe
Time: Total 2 hours, prep 20 min
Difficulty level: medium
- 1 box of Nona Lim Laksa noodles
- 1 lb skin-on pork belly, cut into 1-1.5 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 oz. rock sugar or 2.5 teaspoons of granulated sugar
- 1 medium-sized onion or a couple of shallots, finely chopped
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (if using dried mushrooms, soak ahead of time as instructed on package)
- 1/4 cup shaoxing wine or dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 4 soft boiled eggs, peeled, optional
- Sliced cucumbers for garnish, optional
For spices, wrap in cheese cloth and tie with kitchen string:
- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Sichuan peppercorns
- 2 3-inch pieces dried or fresh orange peel
- 2 slices ginger
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, and blanch the chopped pork belly for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok over low heat, and add the sugar. Cook the sugar until it starts to melt and then add the onions. Turn up the heat to medium-high and stir-fry the onions for a minute. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry for another couple minutes until completely softened.
- Add the blanched pork, shaoxing wine, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and water. Stir and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, add the spices (which should be tied in cheesecloth), and turn the heat to the lowest setting. Simmer for 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- At this point the meat should be fall-apart tender. Remove the spice packet and turn up the heat to medium high to thicken the sauce, stirring occasionally. This process should take about 5-minutes. The sauce should be thick enough to coat a spoon, but there should still be plenty of it left.
- While the sauce is thickening, blanch Laksa noodles quickly in boiling water for 30 seconds and drain.
- To finish the dish, plate noodles in bowls and spoon pork belly and sauce over noodles. Add soft boiled egg and cucumbers, if using. Enjoy!