Everyone knows the key to a man’s heart is through his stomach, so we whipped up this special Drunken Noodle aka Pad Kee Mao recipe, adapted from thewoksoflife.com, so you can treat Dad to a homemade Thai feast on Father’s Day.
For an extra treat, starting today our gluten-free Pad See Ew Noodles are 15% off through end of the month!
Dad's Drunken Pad See Ew
12 oz protein of your choice (we used steak, but you can also use chicken, shrimp, or tofu)
4 tsp soy sauce
1 whole package of Nona Lim Pad See Ew
2 tsp brown sugar dissolved in 1 tablespoon of hot water
1 tbs fish sauce
2 tsp oyster sauce
pepper to taste
3 tbs canola oil
3 cloves minced garlic
¼ tsp grated ginger
2 shallots, sliced
1 scallion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 thai red chili peppers, deseeded and sliced
1 cup loosely packed basil or thai basil
1 lime, cut into wedges for serving
- Slice steak or chicken, if using and mix with 1 tsp of soy sauce to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 min.
- Meanwhile, look Nona Lim Pad See Ew Noodles according to package directions, drain, and set aside.
- Mix brown sugar water, remaining 3 tsp of soy sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce and pepper in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat wok or large sauté pan on medium-high heat until just before smoking. Add 2 tbs canola oil to coat pan, and then add protein, cooking until just about cooked through.
- Remove protein from pan, and set aside. Rinse pan if there is residue from the protein to prevent other ingredients from sticking.
- With heat still on medium-high add remaining 1 tbs of canola oil to pan then add garlic and ginger. Cook for 20 or so seconds, then add shallots. Let cook for another 20 seconds until very fragrant, then add scallions, bell peppers, chili peppers, and basil.
- Stir to cook another 20 seconds then add Pad See Ew Noodles. Stirring carefully to keep noodles intact. Once the noodles have warmed up, add the sauce mixture and cook, while stirring, for another minute or so, until the noodles all look uniform in color.
- Add protein and cook through for another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with a squeeze of lime and enjoy!